Tuesday, September 21, 2010

High School

What changes having a kid in high school brings! First he has seminary. That means that his day(and mine) starts at 5 am. We are out the door at 5:30. He then goes on to have band for his zero hour and then a full school day. Then since that isn't enough he goes on to do football practice or games. On Wed. he has his youth night at church. Thur. nights he plays in the band for the Varsity games. This usually means that he doesn't get home until about 11.30. Then back up at 5 am for seminary. On those rare nights he is home, he will just do his homework and go to bed as early as 8.30. I find my schedule to be insane,but only before or after school. After school for me starts at 2.30 when I head out to get the little ones from school. Then its homework, lessons, dinner, and baths and all the chaos of having 5 kids at home. (I say 5 because Andrew is always gone). Then I crash because I am old and do not have to same stamina as Andrew. Mike does all the late night pick-ups.

With all the kids in school this year I keep getting lots of (usually working) moms asking what I do with all my free time. I wonder if people think I just sit around watching soap operas and eating bonbons. I can't afford to eat all the Godiva chocolates I want and just laundry for a family as big as mine is a huge undertaking! So while, yes, it is a little quieter and easier to get things done. I haven't become a complete couch potato! I started taking French lessons and try to study daily and this morning I made muffins for after school snacks, made bread, and homemade Mac and Cheese for my lunch and because Ammon love his soup thermos for his lunch box, and 3 loads of laundry. Now I'm off to start the after school routine and I think Andrew will be home for dinner today! I'm pretty excited about that since we didn't see him at all last week.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It's hard to believe he is in High School already. It just seems like yesterday that he was a baby. Life goes too fast!